Volunteers frequently report that spending time working with other intellectually engaged adults enhances their lives in a multitude of ways, from nurturing new friendships, tapping into professional skills that may have been neglected since retirement, to feeling pride in giving back to an organization that has given so much to them.
As one volunteer noted, “When you volunteer with other organizations you might give something to others (which is important, of course). When you volunteer with OLLI, you are the recipient of your work – you get to build your own community.”
OLLI offers a variety of options for volunteer work, for those with just a little time to spare as well as those who are able to take on a larger commitment.
Volunteer roles include:
Teach a class or lead a Study Group
Volunteers teach OLLI classes, lead study groups, organize book discussions, provide foreign language instruction, and much more.
Proposals for Fall Term 2018 classes should be submitted by May 14, 2018.
You may submit a Study Group Proposal Form online.
Or contact the OLLI office by sending e-mail to email@example.com or calling 734-998-9351.
OLLI has many different committees from which to choose, based on your interests and experience. They are:
- After 5 Committee: These volunteers conceive, plan, and publicize the four to six diverse group programs that interest people who want an educational and social event in the evening.
- Big Hearts for Seniors Committee: Big Hearts for Seniors is a program made up of five community programs including the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at UM. The objective is to raise funds and awareness for these essential UM Health System community programs that enhance the quality of life for older adults.
- Development/Fundraising Committee: For those who have an interest or experience in development for non-profits, this committee offers and opportunity to find alternative means of funding OLLI programs and activities.
- Finance Committee: This committee develops financial objectives including an annual budget and input into the OLLI five-year strategic plan. They review and analyze expenditures and revenue and make recommendations on fees.
- Lectures Committee: These well-connected volunteers plan and implement the Distinguished Lecture Series and the Thursday Morning Lecture Series by brainstorming and recruiting speakers on themes of the committee’s choosing. Large group meetings occur monthly, with smaller subcommittee meetings happening in the interim between large committee meetings.
- Marketing and Publications Committee: This intermittent, project-based committee meets several times a year to work on marketing projects. Photographers, writers, and graphic designers are welcome!
- Membership/Volunteer Committee: This OLLI Committee develops and enacts plans for recruiting, retaining, and appreciating OLLI members and volunteers. Planning a volunteer appreciation event, conducting outreach to new members, and creating a welcoming OLLI environment are activities these volunteers engage in.
- OLLI Out of Town (Travel) Committee: For those who enjoy day trips and excursions, the OLLI Out of Town Committee allows volunteers to plan and make arrangements for four to six fun, educational events within a three hour drive of Ann Arbor.
- Social Interaction Committee: This committee creates opportunities to foster social interaction among members by planning and helping implement social opportunities separately or as a part of other OLLI events such as the OLLI Winter Open House and coordinating social support with other relevant committees.
- Study Group Committee: Volunteers on the Study Group Committee meet once/month, on average, to recruit study group leaders, develop and market study groups, and evaluate the courses offered.
Other volunteer roles
Volunteers also support OLLI’s work through:
- Serving as greeters at lectures and special events
- Helping with registration at lectures
- Filing and archiving OLLI materials
- Proofreading flyers and brochures prior to publication
- Answering phones, copying, and doing other tasks in the OLLI office