Zoom is a video conferencing platform that provides high definition, interactive collaboration tools for communication. All of OLLI's Fall 2020 programs are being conducted online using Zoom.
You will receive a Zoom Meeting ID and link specific to your OLLI event by e-mail before the event begins. This information is also available in OLLI's online Course Catalog for events for which you have registered as well as for events that are free or do not require registration. And, if you are signed in you can also see Zoom information on the payment History web page. The Zoom information is added to the Course Catalog a few days before the event takes place.
A video tutorial is available to help you get started.
Your Guide to Learning with Zoom
Zoom is a video conferencing platform that provides high definition, interactive collaboration tools for communication.
To access Zoom, you will need:
- a laptop or desktop computer (Windows or Mac),
- a tablet, or
- a smart phone (iPhone or Android).
You may also participate in an audio only version of a Zoom meeting using any telephone or speaker phone.
The following equipment will enhance your experience:
- A speaker is essential and most modern computers, tablets and all smart phones have a speaker built-in. A web camera will increase your connection with the instructor and your peers by allowing you to see each other face-to-face. If you don’t have access to a web camera, you will still be able to see the instructor. Many modern computers, tablets and smart phones have a micro-phone built in.
- A microphone will let you be heard during your class. Many modern computers, tablets and smart phones have a micro-phone built in. You don’t need fancy equipment; It can be headphones with a microphone incorporated and if using your smartphone you can use the head-phones and microphone that came with your smartphone.
- If you haven’t used Zoom before, allow about 15 minutes for setup before first use.
- You will receive a Zoom Meeting ID and link specific to your OLLI event by e-mail before the event begins.
- Zoom information is also available in OLLI's online Course Catalog for events for which you have registered as well as for events that are free or do not require registration. The Zoom information is added to the Course Catalog a few days before the event takes place. To view the information in the Course Catalog (i) sign in using your OLLI account and password, (ii) go to the Course Catalog, (iii) locate your event and click on it to see the event's details, (iv) you'll find the Zoom information under Location toward the bottom of the page (you may need to scroll down to find it, if the event's description is long).
- If you are signed in you can also see Zoom information on the payment History web page.
- You do not need to have a Zoom account or to sign-in to Zoom to participate in a Zoom meeting, the Zoom applications are available for free and Zoom does not charge meeting participants. If you have a Zoom account and wish to use it, please do.
- Using a laptop or desktop, before the meeting download the FREE and secure Zoom program to your computer.
- Using a tablet or smartphone, before the meeting download the free and secure Zoom application from an app store: Apple App Store or Goggle Play.
- Otherwise, you can wait and you will be prompted to download and install Zoom when you click a join link.
- To join a meeting, start your Zoom application and enter the Zoom meeting ID or clink the Zoom meeting link or enter the url for the Zoom meeting link in a web browser.
- You may also join a test meeting to familiarize yourself with Zoom.
- When you join the Zoom meeting or webinar for your event, you may be prompted to allow yourself to participate in a recorded lecture, but you won't be recorded—only the speaker and the host will be.
- To participate in the Q&A, OLLI members can use Zoom to submit a question by using the Q&A option at the bottom of your screen. If OLLI members would rather email their questions, please send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you can't find the information you need to connect using Zoom or you have any other questions about using Zoom, send e-mail to OLLI at email@example.com or call 734-998-9351.
Your Safety Comes First!
We ask that you please do not share program links, meeting IDs or meeting passcodes with individuals who are not registered for the program. OLLI-UM has various safety measures to ensure unexpected guests do not attend Zoom offerings. If you have any questions about these security measures, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your privacy and safety are always a top priority.
Learn More About Zoom
To learn more about Zoom, please visit the OLLI Video Catalog and look under ‘Tutorials’ where you will find a Zoom meetings tutorial hosted by OLLI at UM staff and volunteers. Or click the Zoom Tutorial link to go directly to the video.
Visit the Zoom web site for more detailed information about using Zoom.