The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of Michigan was established to encourage adults to continue their learning long after formal schooling is done. The Institute’s popular programs help mature adults to rediscover the piquancy of learning — the joy of discovery and feelings of accomplishment that are unencumbered by tests, grades, or drills.
This year, since June 2020, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute – OLLI – has offered a total of 245 study groups, lectures, events in the Commons and other opportunities for its members to learn and connect with others, all online. In the last year since May of 2020, OLLI has served 39,714 attendees to OLLI virtual lectures, study groups, social offerings, travel, and special afternoon programming and many special events.
Fall 2021 programs will be conducted online using Zoom.
The OLLI offices, located in the Turner Senior Resource Center, are open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9am-5pm. Masks are required, regardless of vaccination status per University policy.
30+ years of service to adult learners ages 50+
Upcoming OLLI Events
Some upcoming OLLI events are free and open to the public. Scholarships are available.
- Thursday Morning Lecture: Our Changing Economics Landscape: The Economics of Migration- Thursday, December 2nd from 10:00 - 11:30AM
- Afternoons with OLLI: Art Talks: Picturing America- Wednesday, December 8th from 3:30 - 5:00PM
- Thursday Morning Lecture: Our Changing Economics Landscape: Cryptocurrency: Economic and Environmental Impacts and U.S. Policy- Thursday, December 9th from 10:00 - 11:30AM
- OLLI Out of Town: Detroit in Context: Assets, History, and Challenges- Friday, December 10th from 3:00 - 4:30PM
- Distinguished Lecture Series: Time Horizons and Politics- Tuesday, December 14th from 10:00 - 11:30AM
- Thursday Morning Lecture: Our Changing Economics Landscape: How American Health Care Became So Chaotic- Thursday, December 16th from 10:00 - 11:30AM
- Distinguished Lecture Series: The Democratization of Venture Capital is Good for Michigan- Tuesday, January 11th from 10:00 - 11:30AM
- Commons Updates:
- The Schmoozery meets every Wednesday at 1:00 pm
- Coffee with Marta meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 9:00 am
- The First Friday Happy Hour meets the first Friday of the month at 4:30pm
- Poetry with Ginny Bentz meets the third Friday of the month at 7:00 pm
- The Book Beat meets the 4th Tuesday of the month at 4:00pm